10/22/10

Take #5: "Whole Wheat" Rice Bread

Last night I decided to act like a normal college student and go have a few drinks with some friends for the inaugural meeting of Chemistry Senior Pub Night(scratch the normal out of the first clause of that sentence). My body has decided to reward me justly... I woke up after a few hours of sleep with a fever, cough, and very swollen glands. Dumb body.
Anyway, fortunately I have something to do because yesterday I made some very tasty bread. The recipe is called "Touch O' Bean Bread," but that is dumb name, and I also made a couple additions that gave this bread a taste and texture very similar to wheat sandwich bread. It was the perfect snack when I got in last night, and it's going to make the perfect breakfast after the strange person sleeping on my couch leaves (I had nothing to do with his/her being there, for the record). There aren't quite as many pictures for this because my mean housemate started teasing me super mercilessly for documenting my baking adventures. Psh. All the cool kids do it.
Onward and upward!



Featherlight Rice Flour Mix

Ingredients:
1 cup rice flour
1 cup tapioca flour
1 cup cornstarch
1 tablespoon potato flour



















Blend flours together. One fun way you can do this is to put them in a hole-free plastic bag and shake it around.




"Touch O' Bean Bread"

Ingredients:
3 cups Featherlight Rice Flour Mix
4 1/2 tablespoons garfava flour
2 1/4 teaspoons xanthan gum
1 1/2 teaspoons egg replacer
1 1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
3/4 teaspoon salt
4 1/2 tablespoons dry milk powder
3 tablespoons sugar
2 1/4 tablespoons dry yeast granules
1 egg plus 2 whites
4 1/2 tablespoons butter
3/4 teaspoon white vinegar
3 teaspoons molasses
1 1/2 cups of warm water (probably less)

Ingredients plus coffee maker and white sugar

Mix together the flours, xanthan gum, egg replacer, gelatin, salt, dry milk powder, brown sugar, and yeast. Whisk the egg slightly and then add the butter, vinegar, molasses, and most of the warm water (I ended up using about 1 1/4 cups).

Awesome Bonus Ingredients:
1 tablespoon Salba/Chia Seeds
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1 tablespoon whole flax seeds




















If you are adding the extra bonus ingredients (which I highly recommend), just plop them in with the dry ingredients and stir 'em up.

If you're using a breadmaker, follow the machine's directions and cook on the normal white bread setting. After it has finished remove the pan from the breadmaker and bake (uncovered) in a 400 degree oven for an additional 20 minutes.

If you're doing this without the aid of technology, add the dry ingredients slowly to the wet ones and beat for 3 1/2 minutes (if you like your arms I suggest using a mixer). Spoon the dough into a greased pan dusted with rice flour, cover, and let rise for 40 minutes for RapidRise yeast(or 60 minutes for normal yeast). Bake for 50-60 minutes in a 400 degree oven, covering after 10 minutes with aluminum foil.

Bad, fuzzy picture

I cut it open for a taste more or less immediately...

OMNOMNOMNOM.


The thing I like most about this bread is that it combines the dense, nutty flavor that the garfava breads have with the springy texture of rice flour. The seeds gave it a little extra crunch, and if I made it again I might even put in walnuts. In general, despite the dumb name I'd say that this is a repeat recipe. It's definitely the closest mimic to normal whole wheat bread that I have made yet.


Linus was washing his nose this morning. I groomed him yesterday and he was a total trooper about it. He even conked out while I was de-fuzzing his tummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment