10/1/10

Take #3ish: Quinoa Bread

So, I've actually made a fair few number of bread varieties recently, but I keep forgetting to take pictures as I go and blog posts are boring without pictures. A few loaves were re-makes, and I've also found one recipe that I really like that I'll probably be making again shortly (this time, with pictures). I made a loaf of Quinoa Bread from "The Gluten-Free Gourmet Bakes Bread" earlier this week. I (perhaps unwisely) decided to make a "small" loaf instead of my normal "medium," which mean that the loaf itself turned out a bit funny looking (not to mention an awkward size for sandwiches). I have mixed feelings about this recipe. On the one hand, the quinoa adds depth of flavor to the bread (it gives hints of corn and nut flavors). On the other, the bread turned out a little dense and weirdly rubbery. It made a delicious tuna melt, but it wasn't nearly as good served plain with butter as some of the other breads I've made. This might be one I try again when I'm more experienced at breadmaking.


Four Flour Bean Mix

Ingredients:
1 cup garfava bean flour
1/2 cup sorghum flour
1 1/2 cups cornstarch
1 1/2 cups tapioca flour



















Mix flours together well, and presto, you're done.



Quinoa Bread

Ingredients:
3 cups of Four Flour Bean Mix
2 tablespoons quinoa flour
2 1/4 teaspoons xanthan gum
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
1 1/2 teaspoons egg replacer
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons RapidRise dry yeast granules
1 egg plus 2 whites
4 1/4 tablespoon (softened)
3/4 teaspoon white vinegar
1 1/2 cups warm water

What is honey doing in this picture?


Mix dry ingredients together well. Blend eggs, butter, vinegar, and water together in a bowl.
Note that I am watching Die Hard whilst making bread.

If you're going to use a breadmaker, throw them all in to the bowl (wet ingredients first) and set for a 1.5 pound loaf on a normal white bread setting. After the breadmaker claims to be done, you're probably going to need to cook the loaf for 15-20 more minutes in an oven at 400 degrees.

If you're not using a breadmaker, slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet. Beat for four minutes, then let rise (covered) in a prepared pan for 45 minutes. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 50-60 minutes.

Either way, you get this out.

It tasted less gross than it looks, I swear.


Yeah, so it wasn't the prettiest loaf in history. I think maybe I'm adding too much water to my dough (which is why I'm having so much trouble getting loaves to cook through all the way). I might also need to do some research in to mixing properly (and whether melting my butter before adding it is in fact a bad idea).  Irregardless, it was tasty and made me think I was eating something more wholesome than I probably was. So that is good news.

Additionally, a picture of Linus playing "dead bunny."

He likes napping under my dresser.

No comments:

Post a Comment